Monday 24 March 2008

Space Rock

I've been using iTunes lately (shudder). The interface is nice, and quick. But it has two terminate-and-stay-resident-like programs that bug me. Thanks, but I have better uses for that 10MB you've stolen from me.

On the other hand, it's informed me of something I hadn't known about an old album I listen to from time to time.


Apparently the band Brave Saint Saturn is a music genre called "Space Rock." To my surprise this is a legitimate genre. But the band is fairly Christian, so wouldn't that make it Christian Space Rock? Or would I be guilty of an extreme faux-pas in labelling them so? At any rate "Space Rock" isn't one of the forms of Christian music that Wikipedia recognizes.

Attaching the word "Christian" to something often implies uncomfortable things for some people, such as:

  1. It's "Christian" therefore it doesn't need to be esthetically pleasing, or professional

  2. Jesus' name must appear in some form quite frequently in order to deserve the name. I believe in the case of this particular album he makes an appearance on Daylight.

  3. You can't swear or talk about uncomfortable things. In the case of Brave Saint Saturn they do both

One of my favourite Brave Saint Saturn songs is Anastasia. It's about a girl who's name "means 'the resurrection'. It's not too far from true."

The lead singer is Reese Roper, the same dude who sang lead for Five Iron Frenzy. 'Tis a beautiful voice IMHO. My favourite songs in general have to do with finding hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment