Sunday 21 March 2010

Wedding Bands

So this week, we found my wedding band.

With my engagement ring being so unique, as well as my jewelry style, it's been hard to decide what I like, and what would look nice with my ring. The original drawing of what I wanted the ring to be designed around, or possibly find something ready-made like it, it was very much so antique in styling. I wanted something classy, unique, simple, yet elegant all at the same time. Yes indeed, it was a bit of a tall order. But what Cameron found and delivered was perfectly me. Not all that I had wanted was in the ring, but in discussing it with the jewelers, he decided to put some of the design elements that I wanted into the wedding band instead, to reduce the potential chaos and clutter that those elements might end up bringing, which was contrary to what I wanted. And to be honest with you, I had forgotten about the wedding band.

So our search for my wedding band started about a month ago, when we went down to Provo to redeem my prize package I had won at the La Caille Bridal Fair in January from Goldsmith Jewelry Co. In the package I had won, it included: a free strand of fresh water pearls, 20% off my engagement ring, 50% of the diamond and up to 50% off the men's wedding band. Not too shabby. Except that I already had an engagement ring..... So we asked if we could apply the 20% off to a wedding band instead. "Sure!" Excellent. :)

So we took a quick peek at what they had out on display for women's bands and didn't really find anything we liked. So we drew what we were kind of looking for for our guy to search their books and see if they possibly could order something like that in for us. We also asked about the possibility of custom making the band. Since we were on a time crunch (we came down on a monday morning and I had to be at work by noon. we had arrived at 10 at the store) we just told him to email us the details and what he found. After taking a quick peek at the men's bands, Cameron found one he liked, and in tungsten, would be about $300, but with the half off, it would be $150 for me. :) A good price. So we had the guy write they style number down for us to come back later to order it.

After Goldsmith, we went to Robison Bros. Jewelers to open up some fortune prize cookies mentioned in an earlier post. After receiving my prize, we took a look at the men's wedding bands there, cause of the bridal show price would be $100 or $150. Cameron actually found one that he liked, and it was $100! So we decided that we were going to order that. I went ahead and put a deposit on it and we ran  back to my car to zoom our way back to Salt Lake. I was going to be a tad late for work....

So, back to my band. After calling up Goldsmith a little while later, I found out that to custom make my band, it would be close to $1,000 with all the fees and such. So I nixed that idea. So come last sunday, at my first Temple Prep class, after the lesson, a couple of the girls were talking to each other and figure out that they had seen each other at the store they both got their rings at. The store they saw each other in? Antoinette's Antique Jewelry. My ears perked up instantly. Apparently so did Cameron's. We asked where it was located and found out that they also have a website where they list all their inventory on. Very exciting!

So we decide to go check it out. Maybe we could find something I liked, and definitely something that would be what I was looking for as a compliment to my ring. We took a look at the website later on that sunday afternoon and saw a few bands that we liked that we wanted to check out when we got the chance to go in.

Tuesdays are my days off, typically, and I went down to Cameron's branch and paid him a surprise visit. I had gotten the store's exact address and hours at work on monday. Turns out they're only open from noon to 5:30 pm. Well, Cameron gets off work at 5, and it was 4:30 when I went to visit him, so we decided to check them out after he got off. I went ahead (and it was a good thing I did, too) and found out that they were closed that day due to all of them having the flu. So I let Cameron know, and proceeded to roam the little shops that neighbored Antoinette's. I had put in an hour's worth of quarters in the parking meter and wanted to use at least half of it and not waste it.

On thursday, I ended up leaving work early because I was sick. I had actually been sick since monday night, but it had gotten worse. So, with me being home so early, we decided to snag the opportunity and go to Antoinette's again, hoping they were all feeling better from the flu. I got there early (and good thing too, again, cause they were about to close the shop, at 5:15) decided to start taking a look at the bands while we waited for Cameron. I looked at the ones that we saw online, and they were ok with my ring, but then the lady pulled out a band from the vault that was similar to one I had seen online, but much better looking. I tried it on, found it was a tad small (and by a tad, I mean I couldn't get it past my knuckle), but I put it with my ring anyway, and I loved it! Cameron had come in by this point and he liked it too. We figured out the ring was a 4.5 and I needed a 5.5. She told us that they could size it, no problem. So we went ahead and put it into lay-away, seeing as we don't need it until june, and they don't charge us for it.

This is a ring that's similar to the one we found. Just to give you all a taste. :)


It's 18k white gold, from a designer called Belais and it's from around the 1910's. :) 

i'm very excited. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment