Thursday 24 May 2012

Beef Carpaccio en Suisse. Check. Done. Next.

I come from the Philippines from the lovely city of Davao to be specific. Our house, and I think majority of the residents, are just 20 minutes away from the sea. The beach is accessible and Seafood is abundant. I grew up eating raw fish. Not sushi, that's in Japan. In our part of the world, we call our raw fish dish, "kinilaw". It's tuna or any other fish marinated in vinegar and lemon. I love this dish. Then I heard about raw beef from my father after his trips abroad. That stirred my curiousity.



It was just last week, here in Switzerland, after 20 plus years that I was able to try raw beef. Yes, I ate Carpaccio. So long have I imagined it to taste like - a little bit tangy with a slight sourness coming from the combination of balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Well I imagined so long and have so much associated it with our sour and tangy "kinilaw". It tasted different from what I imagined. The Carpaccio had a very sutle taste, a bit over than bland, but had enough flavor to stand on its own without the herbs and oil. I tried to isolate the beef from the rest just to experience the beef it its purest form... After a few bites, I asked for balsamic. I then realized that my tongue was so used to strong flavors that it was already hard for me to appreciate other dishes with very sutle flavors. I have to learn.



No comments:

Post a Comment