Thursday 14 June 2012

Spotlight: Susannah Shares Behind the Scenes of Her Splore Internship

I have been an Intern and Program Volunteer at Splore for the past 6 months.  It has been such a valuable experience and I have learned so much from it.  I have had amazing opportunities to work with great people and participate in various activities.

When I first started my internship, I participated in cross country skiing trips with two different groups of people.  I worked with the VA group and with a group of teenagers from City Academy.  I learned the technicalities of cross country skiing as well as meeting a diverse group of people.  The VA group was fun because they are so knowledgeable and love to tell stores.  It was amazing to track their progress!  City Academy was so enthusiastic and loved trying new things.

The last portion of my internship was spent being a one on one mentor in the Rock On! program.  I was a rock climbing mentor for a 10 year old boy who had autism.  It was so amazing to work with such a sweet child and to be able to track his progress.  He loved climbing which made it so enjoyable for me to see the smile and excitement on his face.

I also had many opportunities to work in the office over the past few months.  I helped file paperwork, create client spreadsheets, and take inventory on summer gear.  It takes a lot more “behind the scenes” work than you would think to keep Splore up and running.
Splore is run by amazing people, both employees and volunteers.  I am so glad to have been able to meet such great people.  I would like to especially thank Eric Bonin for letting me intern with Splore and learn so much!
Through out the past 6 months, I have learned better to work with all kinds of people of all ages.  I have learned what it takes to work at Splore but also how much fun it is.  I love the outdoors and am so glad I could share that with everyone I associated with at Splore.  Splore is an outstanding program and I am so glad I have had to opportunity to be involved with it!
-Susannah Ungricht

No comments:

Post a Comment