Tuesday 4 September 2012

"When I Was A Boy" - Entry #1 The Break-out Artist

This should be titled "The Break-out Artist Part 1" as there is a Part 2 that I'll get to in the next post.

As a toddler, I was full of energy (so I'm told) and was always on the move.  This made it difficult for my mother to do housework in a timely fashion while trying to keep me from creating a new mess behind her.  One Summer day she decided the best solution was to attach one end of a rope to here outside laundry line and the other end of the rope around my waist.  I would have a fixed range of travel and she was sure I couldn't do any damage outside.  She was somewhat mistaken!

I was out in the backyard in my diaper hooked up to this "toddler run" for only a short time before I schucked the rope around my waist and went for a tour.  I was hungry and decided to go up the street to the Dominion store (dating myself here). 

I remember stopping at the end of Oliver Street where it meets Trafalgar, with the Dominion store in my sights on the other side.  Before crossing, I did what Elmer The Safety Elephant always preached, "Look both ways before you cross the street".  I crossed the street and walked into the Dominion store.  Nobody paid much attention to me, that is, until I got what I was looking for and exited the store.  I had taken a box of Apple Jacks off the shelf and walked out guilt free.  Once outside I sat down on the curb and opened the box of cereal and began to eat.   Life doesn't get much better, sitting around in your diaper outside on a beautiful day eating sugary cereal!

Before too long, someone from the store was standing beside me asking me my name and if my mother was in the store and where I lived.  I don't recall them trying to take the cereal away from me.  The next thing I remember, a nice policeman shows up and takes me the 400 odd feet back to my home.  My mother is out on the front steps crying for some reason. 

May have gotten a spanking for that and probably shaved some years off of Mom's life. 

This wasn't the end of it though....

No comments:

Post a Comment