Monday 10 September 2012

Transcribed For Your Listening Pleasure - "Prologue"


PROLOGUE

Dear Sam:

I trust you and Grace are in good health, I hope that retirement suits you as well as it fits me.  Mary is just finalizing plans for next July in the Upper Peninsula and we both hope that you and Grace can join us.

The reason I’m writing you is this:  Remember at the Association of Chiefs of Police convention last year, when you threw down the gauntlet, so to speak, and suggested that I should write a book about my career in law enforcement?  Well, my friend, the jokes on you!  Joe Ronson from the Free Press was there when you made that crack, and he approached me about helping to write it, arranged for a book deal, and viola!

In the humble tradition of Serpico and Joe Wambaugh, my new book, “The Gun In My Holster” will be released in two weeks, just in time for the Christmas buying season.  I’ve included with this note an advance copy of the book.  I would draw your attention to a chapter that may be of particular interest to you.  I’ve tentatively titled this chapter “Columbo’s Hostage”, and when you read it, you’ll find out why.  Once you start reading, you’ll see why this story never made it into the papers.  The Oakland County Sheriff’s Department was kind enough to let me have access to all of the paperwork that we collected and generated during the investigation of this matter.  As it’s an election year and you’ve told me that you were thinking of running for governor, you will be particularly interested in how the enclosed story involves one of your potential worthy competitors.

Thanks for the inspiration, and please let me know what you think.  Give Grace a kiss from the both of us.
 

Sincerely,

 
James Fontaine

No comments:

Post a Comment